Giving Back to Our Parents

I wish my parents are here with me, but they live half-way around the world. Why I wish they’re here? Because I want to personally take care of them especially so now that they’re both in their 70′s. And more so now that my Mom just suffered from a stroke and is now wheelchair-bound. I grow up in a tradition and culture wherein we are the ones who will take care of our elderly parents. Since I am not there. I am very grateful that my sisters take turns taking care of them.

I worked before in a nursing home when I was in Georgia, and this past April I worked for a short period in a home care setting. Both my experiences really thought me how to take care of our elderly, not just by assisting and doing things that they need, but most especially make them as comfortable as possible. I read lots of articles in ParentGiving.com about different issues about elderly care and found out very valuable information. This is a one-stop resource for choosing an in-home care agency that you need if you have elderly and different ways on how to take care of the elderly properly. They listed different agencies all over the US, so wherever you are you can access to this information and get specific answer to your questions.

Before my Mom asked me if when they can come over here in the US if I will put them in a home care facility or nursing home. I told them I would love them to stay in our own house where I can be there for them. I want to give something back to them as my parents for being there for me no matter what. But this won’t be possible now as I don’t think they still want to be here since they both have medical issues.

This entry was posted in Family, Health and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Giving Back to Our Parents

1. zoan says:

I am glad that we are born as Filipinos. Because we value our family as we value our life. We help our family in any way we can and tumatanaw tayo ng utang na loob sa ating mga magulang;)

2. Marky says:

More than anything in this world, giving back to our parents is surely the best and the most right thing to do. They are everything. And it feels awesome to do something good especially to your mom and dad. Thanks for this post.

3. haze says:

Yes, don’t we all wish exactly the same? To take care our own parents? I think it’s a great upbringing from our parents that taught us gratitude and pity towards elderly. Majority of the Filipinos look up to their elders with respect.

Filipinos are known for their close knit family ties and you are right, our parents will have more opportunities here, and besides we can see them and take care of them too. How i wish my parents are here too, though their only in their 50′s yet. I want them to experience the goodness that I had experienced.

5. Nita says:

Everyone knows it is very hard to take care of your children and also balance that with taking care of your parent as well, but it can be done.

In Leviticus 19:32, ‘Rise in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. I am the LORD.’

i wish my parents are here too, so I can take care of them. but i dont think they want to stay here in a cold place. they would get sick even more. it is much happier in Phil than here in US

7. That’s one disadvantage of us being away. I always worried when they tell me that my mother is sick.

Me too! I wish my parents were here, they can enjoy life that they never had in the Philippines. I want them to experience what it’s like to be here. Someday!